Available: 10/01/19, Expires: 06/01/21
OPENPediatrics seeks to provide universal access to continuing medical education and connect clinicians across the globe, to promote best practices and improve pediatric care worldwide. This free, open access, and peer-reviewed, educational website utilizes the latest in innovative technology to create a global community of clinicians focused on education and optimal practice in the diagnosis and care of an ill child. The OPENPediatrics website is currently used by healthcare providers from all resource settings in every country worldwide, who find free access to a number of resources, including:
- Peer-reviewed videos by experts
- Online device simulators including mechanical ventilation, and peritoneal and hemodialysis simulators
- Medical calculators
- Social collaboration tools including a video chat capability, document sharing, and discussion forums.
We offer a range of opportunities for students interested in medical education, global health, and pediatrics. Production of new content is an ongoing activity and OPENPediatrics is constantly taking on new projects in various subject areas. These projects provide a range of possible opportunities for Harvard Medical Students for either a summer project or for students taking a year off. These will be paid positions through Boston Children’s Hospital, and will allow students to fulfill their scholarly project requirement. Some examples of past projects HMS students have undertaken include:
- Editing and reviewing educational videos
- Managing the development and evaluation of a peritoneal dialysis simulator
- Helping design and develop a video curriculum for medical student education
- Evaluating online social learning behaviors in the OPENPediatrics platform
- Evaluating the use of on online mechanical ventilation simulator
- Studying the effects of spaced learning in resident training
- Assisting with design and development of a virtual patient case simulator
All students will also have the opportunity to get involved in either the development or assessment phase of OPENPediatrics’ content. Working on the video production process provides students with the chance to review and expand their knowledge base and to act as a mentor and teacher as they work with OPENPediatrics’ staff of pre-medical students to edit and improve educational content. This position will include direct work with senior physician and nurse leaders in the Critical Care Department at Boston Children’s Hospital. Furthermore, this position allows the flexibility of completing academic work while engaging in clinical opportunities. All HMS students will have opportunities to shadow BCH physicians, as well as attend weekly grand rounds, lectures, and conferences.