Zeina N Chemali, M.D.
|Title||Associate Professor of Psychiatry|
|Institution||Massachusetts General Hospital|
|Address||Massachusetts General Hospital|
Psychiatry WACC 815
15 Parkman Street
Boston MA 02114
(login for email)
|2003||Best Preventive Elderly Care in Third Millenium |
|2009||Partners in Excellence |
|2010||BWPO Community Service Award|
Peace in Medicine Initiative
The aim of the initiative is to educate health professionals that Peace is not simply the absence of War. War undermines health systems everywhere. From a public health perspective, it is important to help prevent such conflicts. Applying this approach to war and other forms of violence, academic institutions in particular those with peace study faculties play a major role if not a leading one in conducting the necessary research to make the convincing arguments to the governance bodies.Individual and academic teams trained in prevention of structural violence are invited to establish and advise on violence prevention pre-conflict and peace consolidation strategies post-conflict.
Public Health Projects
1. Prospects of Elderly Care in Lebanon: Towards Stronger and Sustainable Reforms (2003-2005).
2. Lebanese Mental Health Policy, Plans, Programs and Organization of Services
3. Mental Health- Clinics and Educational Programs in Rural Africa
a. JUSH- Jimma-Ethiopia (2007-current) : Building Training Capacity for mid-level mental health professionals. [http://www.ju.edu.et/cphms/node/129]
b. Nelson Mandela University- Kwanzulu Natal-South Africa (Summer, 2007)
4. Mental Health in War Zones: Creating a humanitarian space for most vulnerable groups- The case of refugees, women, children and the elderly (1980- till present)
5. Peace in Medicine Initiative- "War: The most dangerous public health threat" (Ongoing)
6. Alzheimer's Disease Lebanon- Capacity Building Programs- Commissioned by Lebanese Ministry of Social Affairs (Summer 2011)
7. Cultural models and beliefs impacting on access to neurology and psychiatry care in Spanish speaking patient populations [Boston-Partners Hospitals; Francisco Marroquin University School of Medicine-Guatemala]
8. Women, War and Peace- " I came to testify"- PBS Series/Wellesley College Invited Conferences-Peace and Justice Studies Program
9. Geriatric Care- Lebanon/Nationwide proposal on Elderly Care in Consultation with Lebanese Ministry of Social Affairs, Family Unit, Elder Division (Spring-Summer 2012)
10. Gender Work in Consultation with Lebanese Ministry of Social Affairs, Family Unit,Division of Women's Affairs
11. Aging and Retirement - Culture of Change Focus Groups in Consultation with Lebanese Ministry of Social Affairs, Family Unit, Elder Division (Summer-Fall 2013)
12.Humanitarian Space and Wellbeing: Effectiveness of Training on a Psychosocial Intervention for host community-refugees interaction (2014-on)- Lebanon, Ministry of Social Affairs, Syrian Project Desk
Local representatives can answer questions about the Profiles website or help with editing a profile or issues with profile data. For assistance with this profile: HMS/HSDM faculty should contact feedbackcatalyst.harvard.edu. For faculty or fellow appointment updates and changes, please ask your appointing department to contact HMS. For fellow personal and demographic information, contact HMS Human Resources at human_resourceshms.harvard.edu. For faculty personal and demographic information, contact HMS Office for Faculty Affairs at facappthms.harvard.edu.
Click the "See All" links for more information and interactive visualizations!
People who are also in this person's primary department.